Registration ahead of time saves you time and hassle on election day. Make your voting experience easier this year by preregistering before election day. You must register to vote if you are a new resident, have moved to another precinct in the City, or if you did not vote in the election held in 2016 or 2018. You may either preregister at least 21 days before election day or at the polls on election day.
MN Secretary of State pre-registration information and forms.
Locally, you can preregister at the Wright County Government Center until July 2020 for the primary election or until October 2020 for the general election. Registration can also be done the day of election at your precinct location.
Identification Requirements for Registering to Vote
There are specific identification requirements that must be presented at the time you register. You must present one of the following items:
• A Minnesota driver’s license, learners permit, state identification card, or the temporary receipt for one of these items. Ideally, the license or ID card will have the current address on it, and that’s all the voter needs to register.
• If the license or ID has a former address, the voter may bring a recent utility bill for proof of the current address. Whenever a voter uses a utility bill, it must have the voter’s name and current address on it, and the due date must be within 30 days of the election. The bill can be for any of the usual utilities including gas, water, electric, waste removal, telephone, and cable TV.
• A U.S. passport with a utility bill;
• A U.S. military photo ID card with a utility bill;
• A “Notice of Late Registration” with the current address;
• Student ID card, fee, fee statement, or class registration, with the current address;
• A student photo ID card with a utility bill; or
• A school may provide a certified student list that shows students’ campus addresses which can be used with a student photo ID card.
• Voucher. If you don’t have any of these, you can still vote by having someone who is registered in the same precinct “vouch” for your identity and residence.