Public Works

Public Works

The Public Works Department is responsible for and coordinates all of the activities for Street Maintenance.  Primary responsibilities include building maintenance, fleet services, snow plowing, storm cleanup, street repair, and maintaining the compost site.


Streets Superintendent

Emergency Contact

Public Works Services
Compost Facility


1306 County Road 134
(located behind the Buffalo Civic Center)

The Compost Facility is available for residents who live within the City limits of Buffalo. A compost sticker is required for access to the facility.

There are two ways you can obtain this sticker:

  • Stop in during office hours at the City Center at 212 Central Ave. Once staff confirms your address is in the City limits, they will give you the sticker.
  • Or call City Hall at 763.682.1181 and we will mail it to you.
  • City Center hours are Monday-Friday 8:00-4:30

For hours of operation and accepted items, please click HERE.

Mosquito Control

The City of Buffalo sprays for mosquitos on Wednesday evenings from June to first week in September.  Spraying will be done on Wednesday evenings with Thursday as the back-up night, weather permitting!

The chemical that is used in our sprayer is Clarke Biomist 4+4 ULV.  Biomist is appropriate for residential and recreational areas.

For more information on Biomist:

The City of Buffalo also tries early preventative measures to control mosquitos by using Clarke Natular Pellets in all holding ponds.  The pellets are applied just before the ice goes out in the ponds or shortly thereafter.

For more information Natular:

For more information, please contact Carey at 763.684.5425. 


City Council approved sidewalks and trails, primarily along arterials, are plowed by the City, all others are the responsibility of the property owner.  It is the primary responsibility of the owner or occupant of any lot or parcel of land to maintain any snow or ice from adjacent sidewalks.  See City Ordinance.


Street signs are a very important part of every city.  If you notice a missing or damaged street sign please contact Carey at 763.684.5425. 


  • What is my responsibility as a resident to maintain property to ensure visibility?
    • Overgrown vegetation blocking the view of traffic signs can lead to dangerous situations in our neighborhoods and streets.  If vegetation is blocking a traffic sign or signal adjacent to your property, you are responsible to trim the vegetation to a point where the City deems that the visibility of the sign or signal is adequate. The inability of motorists to see crossing traffic is a leading cause of accidents at intersections.  The City has adopted ordinances, which require corner lots to be clear of structures, plantings, signage, etc. to allow for improved visibility.  If the City is notified of a sight problem on your corner, follow-up will be done to determine whether any action will need to be taken.  The City will send a letter to the homeowner, if it is the homeowner’s responsibility to correct the problem.  If the homeowner fails to remove the obstruction in a timely manner, the City will remove it for you at your expense.
  • Where do I report a concern about traffic visibility?
    • For more information, please contact the Carey at 763.684.5425. 
Snow Removal

Effort is made to clear City streets within 24 hours of the start of the snowfall.  This requires approximately 12 hours of operations for a normal snowfall of 2 to 6 inches, beginning with arterials, and then follow with residential and cul-de-sac streets.  Ice control is ordered as conditions warrant.  

Click Here for Winter Snow Plowing Do’s & Don’ts Flyer


  • Mailboxes
    • The City will determine repair/replacement of mailboxes, on an individual basis, claims of damage to mailboxes caused by snow plowing.  If damage is caused by the weight of the snow, there is no reimbursement.  The homeowner must be able to prove that the plow actually hit the mailbox and caused the damage.  If there is reimbursement to repair/replace, installation/labor is the responsibility of the property owner.  Residents are responsible for keeping mailbox accessible for postal delivery. For more information or to report mailbox damage, please contact Carey at 763.684.5425. 
  • Right of Way Intrusions
    • The City will not be responsible for items, such as fence, timbers, posts, landscaping and sprinkler systems located in the boulevard.  Any items damaged within the City right-of-way as a result of snow removal, would be the responsibility of the property owner, with the exception of turf damage caused from snow plowing.
  • Sod/Turf Damage
    • Reports of sod damage caused by snow plowing will be handled on an individual basis. For more information, please contact Carey at 763.684.5425. 


  • What is the city’s policy on snow plowing?
    • City’s snow plowing procedure varies depending upon the amount of snow received.  If there is a snowfall of less than approximately two inches, then usually only major streets in the City system are plowed.  Sanding is done at stop signs, hills, and curves on the entire system. If more than two inches of snow falls, then all City streets are plowed curb-to-curb, including the removal of snow from cul-de-sacs.
  • How does snowplowing affect parking on city streets?
    • After an accumulating snowfall , parking is prohibited until the street has been plowed curb-to-curb.  Violators may be ticketed, or tagged and towed.
Storm Sewer Maintenance

Storm sewers collect rain water run off from streets and other impervious surfaces and drain them into lakes or other natural wetlands.  Please avoid raking leaves and other debris into these areas.  Also avoid dumping hazardous wastes such as motor oil or anti-freeze into storm sewers. 

If you notice that any catch basins are plugged or blocked, please contact Carey at 763.684.5425. 

Protect Storm Drains Against Illicit Discharge

Street Maintenance or Street Repair

The City Streets Department does a wide variety of street maintenance work:  pot hole filling, crack filling, road patching, concrete work (sidewalk, curbs and apron work), snow plowing and striping of crosswalks and parking spaces.

The City also maintains holding ponds, tree trimming (Right of Ways), sign replacements and many other miscellaneous work.


  •  How do I report a street maintenance problem?
    • Maintenance problems on City streets are reported via email to Streets Superintendent Carey Kotilinek or by phone at 763-684.5425.
Street Sweeping

The City Street Department sweeps City streets on a consistent schedule and are swept by a vacuum type street sweeper.

The City does street sweeping in early spring to remove the sand and debris from the winter.  When needed, street sweeping will also be done in the summer.

In the fall, the street sweepers will be out in full force when we start to notice that the leaves are starting to fall to the ground to help prevent them from getting in the storm sewer system or clogging up the road ways.

For more information, please contact Carey at 763.684.5425. 

General FAQ’s
Street Lights

To whom do I report a street light that is out?

  • If the street light is near you and you pay your home electric bill to the City of Buffalo, please utilize our 24 hour on-line Service Request program or call the City Center at (763) 682-1001 to report it.
  • If the street light is near you and you pay your home electric bill comes from Wright Hennepin, you will need to contact them at (763) 477-3000 and they will send someone out.
Traffic Signals

How do I report a traffic signal problem?

  • Traffic signal problems should be reported to Administration at 763-682-1181.  They will determine whether the signal responsibility is that of the state, county, or city and notify the proper agency in order to have the problem corrected.
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.