Police Department

Police Department


The Buffalo Police Department provides 24-hour patrol service and responds to all criminal complaints, medical emergencies, and other calls for service within the Buffalo City limits.  Full-time positions in our department consists of seventeen Officers, three front office/records staff.  Our volunteer unit includes nine Reserve Officers. Our office is located just off Highway 25, 215 1st Avenue NE, about one-quarter mile south of Highway 55.  This is behind the City Center Campus adjacent to the Fire Hall and Administrative Offices for the City of Buffalo.  Our office hours are Monday through Friday – 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M., excluding holidays. The Wright County Sheriff’s Department provides 911 Emergency and all other dispatching services for the City of Buffalo.  In non-emergency situations, you may contact an officer through our office during business hours at (763) 682-5976, or during non-business hours, through the Sheriff’s Department at (763) 682-7600. Like us on Facebook!

Current Events

There’s always something going on at the Buffalo Police Department.  Since our agency participates in a number of different programs and activities, an event of some sort is always just around the corner.  Any time you visit our Web Site, check here for events that might interest you.  Hope to see you there!

Coffee with Buffalo Police


Your Buffalo Police Department wants to provide the community with an opportunity to meet our staff and have conversations about operations at the Buffalo Police Department. A Police Officer is available on a weekly basis at the times and locations listed below. The sessions are on Tuesdays from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m., except for holidays.


First Tuesday of the month: Dunn Bros, 94 14th St NE .

Second Tuesday of the month: McDonalds, 303 7th St NE.                                                coffee

Third Tuesday of the month: Cub Foods, 1008 Hwy 55 E.

Fourth Tuesday of the month: Buffalo Books, 6 Division St.

For updates, call 763-682-5976.

Legal or not, texting while driving is a big risk. Is it legal? Why can’t I text? Texting has been illegal while driving in Minnesota for over four years.

Check out our Neighborhood Crime Map

Did you know that your Buffalo Police Department has Drug Drop Program? Click here for information

Traffic safety is a priority for the Buffalo Police Department.  We will work to ensure new teen drivers are following these guidelines.

Crime Mapping
News Releases
The Buffalo Police Department provides a weekly news release that chronicles the department’s activity for the previous week.  These releases are provided to the City’s Official Newspaper, the Wright County Journal Press.  In addition to being provided to the Journal Press, the weekly news releases are posted here for you to view.  Weekly new releases are only kept active on this website for a few weeks.  Eventually, the oldest news releases will be purged. You can click on any of the links below to view the news release for that week.  If the date is not a link, the release is not available and will be posted as soon as it is.
Week of:
Crime Prevention

The Buffalo Police Department has a series of projects aimed at reducing crime.  Read the information below to learn more about these efforts.


logo_hpIn December of 2007, the Buffalo Police Department established a link from our crime database to a web-based mapping product, which allows residents to see a mapped depiction of crimes occurring within the City.  If you click HERE, you will be directed to the map of the City of Buffalo.  By setting up an account, you can be notified by email of any new crimes within your neighborhood – or anywhere in the City.

You can also view other crime maps from other areas of the Country, by going to www.crimereports.com It is our hope that by making the public more aware of the crimes occurring within the City or within their neighborhood, they will be more likely to report unusual or suspicious activity.  You can all help us make our community a better place to live by helping us catch those responsible for criminal activity.  NOTE:  If you are having trouble receiving data from this application, follow the hyperlinks above, then hit CTRL + F5.  This will clear the cached script from your IE browser and the data will then be visible.  You will only have to do this once.

Buffalo Crime Stoppers

Solving crimes is everyone’s responsibility – not just the Police Department’s.  It’s up to all of us to help make our community a safe and crime free place to live and raise our families. While we always appreciate witnesses who come forward and are willing to identify themselves and testify – if you witness a crime and want to remain anonymous – or confidential – we can make sure your identity is not disclosed. Help us help you – if you know anything about a crime that has happened, or a crime that could happen, call the Buffalo Police Department at 763-682-5976.

Emergency Business Contact Information
If you own or manage a local business in Buffalo, providing your emergency contact information can be very helpful in assisting us with contacting you when there is a problem at your business.

Click HERE to obtain a form you can complete and either mail or email to our department with the necessary information.

We participate in assisting homeowners and businesses in evaluating their residential or business security and their potential exposure to crime.  If you are interested in having an officer conduct a security audit at your home or place of business, contact our office to set up an appointment at (763) 682-5976 or send us an email at policeofficer@ci.buffalo.mn.us.
 If you will be gone from Buffalo for an extended amount of time, please call our department so we may provide daily house checks for you.  We will need your address, your contact number, the contact of a person in or near town whom you might be having watching your home and a description of vehicles in the driveway.
Crime Victim Information

If you wish to receive a notice from our office regarding the disposition of a case, please email this request. Be sure to include the case number and Officer information . Click here to send us an E-mail RIGHTS AND SERVICES FOR ALL CRIME VICTIMS

  • You have the right to apply for financial help for losses resulting from a violent crime. This assistance does not cover property losses. For an application and information call 651-282-6256. Outside the Twin Cities area call 888-622-8799. TTY 651-205-4827.
  • You have the right to request that the law enforcement agency withhold public access to data revealing your identity. The law enforcement agency will decide if this is possible.
  • You have the right, if the offender is charged to be informed of and participate in the prosecution process, including the right to request restitution (money that is court ordered from the offender and paid to the victim).

If you feel that your rights as a victim have been violated, contact the Crime Victim Justice Unit at 651-201-7300 or 800-247-0390. SERVICES FOR VICTIMS Wright County Sheriff’s Department 763-682-7600 Wright County Jail 763-682-7653 Wright County Human Services 763-682-7400 Wright County Court Administration 763-682-7539 (Protection orders) Wright County Attorney 763-682-7349 800-362-3667 ext. 7349 VINE (Offender release notification) 877-664-8463 United Way 2-1-1 (24 hour assistance) 800-KIDS709 2-1-1 from land line Crisis Nursery (Family support resources) 763-682-7410 or 800-965-1430 Rivers of Hope (Domestic violence) 763-296-3433 or 800-439-2642 Sexual Violence Center 320-251-4357 or 800-237-5090 Buffalo Hospital 763-682-1212   VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC ASSAULT You can ask the City or County Attorney to file a criminal complaint and you have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an Order for Protection from Domestic Abuse.  The order may include:

a. An order restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse. b. An order directing the abuser to leave your household. c. An order preventing the abuser from entering your home (or a reason able area around your home), school, business, or place of employment. d. An order awarding you or the other parent custody of/or visitation of your minor child or children. e. An order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor if the abuser has a court order to do so.

You also have the right to notification if prosecution of the case is declined or criminal charges are dismissed. The Buffalo Police Department provides 24-hour patrol service and responds to all criminal complaints, medical emergencies,

Programs & Services
Ordinances to Know

What are the most common City Ordinances that might affect you that you should be aware of?  The following list of ordinances provides an overview of several commonly used ordinances that might affect you.  If you would like to view the actual ordinance language, you can click or the appropriate link.  If you would like to view general City Ordinances, click on the Ordinance link here. Animal Ordinances 

  • Dogs and Cats must be licensed at the City Center, and must have a current rabies vaccination.
  • It is unlawful to keep more than 3 cats or dogs at any residence.
  • It is unlawful to allow any dog to bark continuously.
  • It is unlawful for any dog or cat to run at large

Burning Permits

  • Burning permits are available at the City Center for burning leaves only between September 15 and December 1 during daylight hours.


  • The curfew is 10:30 pm for children under age 16 and midnight for children 16-17 years old.


  • It is unlawful to discharge a firearm, BB Gun, or Bow & Arrow within the City Limits.

Noise Ordinance

  • It is unlawful for any person to engage in conduct that is likely to cause a breach of the peace, or
  • To engage in offensive, obscene or abusive language or in boisterous and noisy conduct tending reasonably to arouse alarm, anger or resentment in others.


  • Between November 1 and April 1 if snow has fallen, it is prohibited to park on any city street after 2:00 A.M. until the snow has been cleared from the street.
  • It is prohibited to park on any street during any time when a Snow Emergency has been declared by the City Administrator.  Information concerning Snow Emergencies will be broadcast on the City’s Cable Channel.
  • It is unlawful to park a vehicle on any street or municipal parking lot for a continuous period of 24 hours.
  • It is unlawful to park or store any unlicensed or inoperable motor vehicle on private property unless it is inside a building.

Snowmobile Operation 

  • Snowmobile operators may not exceed 20 MPH on any alley or side street in Buffalo.
  • Snowmobile operators may not operate on any lands, including school grounds, hospital grounds, cemeteries and golf courses, without lawful authority or permission of the owner or occupant.
Snowmobile operators must obey all other local and state laws concerning snowmobiles.

It’s Not Worth It!


Do you have a question that we can answer, or a concern that you would like addressed?  If you have a question or concern that relates to law enforcement in general, a law or ordinance, speeders in your area, or any other question or concern related to policing in the City of Buffalo or Wright County, here is your opportunity to get the answer. 

Simply click on the link below, and you can send us your message or question.  An officer will be directed to respond to you during the next business day.  As always, if your question or concern needs an immediate response, please feel free to contact an officer through the Wright County Communication Center at (763) 682-7600.   

Click here to send us a message!


Do you have a question about a police topic?  Check the list below for the answer.  If you don’t see the answer to your question here, view Ask BPD below to send an e-mail question to our department!  

How do I make a complaint about the Police Department?

All complaints related to the Police Department are to be initiated through a Police Department supervisor. Forms for filing a complaint may be obtained during regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., or by contacting a supervisor from the Buffalo Police Department through the Communications Center at (763) 682-7600, during non-business hours.

Is it legal to drive without shoes on?

This has been a long-held myth.  The fact is that it is legal to drive without shoes in the State of Minnesota.  Keep in mind that laws can vary from state to state.

Doesn’t my child need parental consent to drive a car until they are eighteen years old? What if I want to take that privilege away – what do I do?

In Minnesota a parent can withdraw the driving privileges of a sixteen or seventeen year old.  While the easiest way for a parent to do this is to take the keys away, this will not ensure that the child could not or would not operate a friend’s vehicle.  In order to legally withdraw consent, the parent must complete a form and file it with the Department of Public Safety.

Where do I get a gun permit?

You may obtain a permit to purchase a firearm, through the Buffalo Police Department.  If you would like to apply for a permit to purchase, you should visit the Police Department to obtain an application.  Please stop in or call us to receive the application materials you will need. If you wish to obtain a permit to carry a firearm, you will need to make your application through the Wright County Sheriff’s Office.

Can I park a semi in Buffalo?

The answer is Yes and No.  Generally you can park a semi for loading and unloading purposes, but you can’t park a semi in a residential neighborhood.  For additional information on this ordinance, you can visit the following link, Truck Parking.

When are officers on duty?

The Buffalo Police Department provides 24-hour service 365 days a year.  However, there is not always an officer inside the police department.  Our office hours are from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.  If you come to the police department after business hours and there is nobody here, you should contact the Wright County Sheriff’s Communication Center at (763) 682-7600.  They will dispatch a Buffalo Officer to meet with you.

I called in a complaint but nobody called me back. Why is that?

If you call in a general complaint such as speeding, careless driving, suspicion, etc., it is normally presumed that you do not want to be called back.  If you are making a complaint of this nature and you do want to be informed of the outcome or you have information you would like to discuss directly with the officer, you should tell the dispatcher that you want a call from the responding officer.  This will ensure that the officer calls you back.

How can I get a copy of a police report or accident report that I filed?

All requests for copies of police reports must be made in writing.  A request for information release must be completed and submitted.  If it is determined that you are entitled to a copy of the data requested, the data will be collected and prepared for release.  There is an administrative fee for the release of data.  The fees for data release are as follows:

Reports Fees
General Reports $0.25 per page
Accident Reports $0.25 per page
Photos/Statements $1.00/disk and $0.25/image
Driver’s License None for Buffalo Residents
Special Rate Occasionally a person will ask for an extensive amount of data that may take a significant amount of time to collect.  When these instances occur, we charge a staff-rate of $25.00 per hour to collect this data.
Some of my property was stolen and has been recovered by the police, how do I get it back?

Items of stolen property are generally considered evidence and are stored in a secure area within the police department.  Only certain individuals within the police department are authorized to enter the secure area to obtain the property to return to be returned.  Once the case has been completed, these items can usually be returned to the owner.  In some cases, property can actually be returned to the owner prior to the criminal case being resolved.  To get your property returned, call the police department and ask to speak with the officer assigned to your case.  The officer will initiate the paperwork with our Property Technician to  make arrangements for the return of your property.  An appointment is necessary with the Property Technician in order for property return.

My car was impounded, what do I have to do to get it back?

The Buffalo Police Department contracts with Junction Towing (763-682-2033).  If your vehicle is not being held as evidence, or for some other reason, you should be able to have it released by contacting the towing company directly.  If the towing company tells you that your car is subject to a hold, you will need to contact the police department to obtain a release form.  You may come directly to the Buffalo Police Department, or if it is outside of our normal business hours, you can contact Wright County Sheriff’s Communication at 763-682-7600 and request that a Buffalo Police Officer meet you at the police department.

If your vehicle was towed from private property, it is most likely that the police department did not order the impounding.  If the police department was not involved in the towing of your vehicle, you will need to deal directly with the towing agency.

Who do I call if I have information about a crime?

Any time that you have information about a crime, you can call and speak to an officer of the Buffalo Police Department.  In some cases, you may even be eligible for a cash reward.  Unless the crime is in progress or it is an emergency, the best way to contact an officer is to call our office at (763) 682-5976 during regular business hours, or Wright County Sheriff’s Communication at (763) 682-7600.

If I have information about a crime, can I report it to the police and still stay anonymous?

If you are a witness to a crime, you can always ask to remain a confidential anonymous source.  Data privacy laws in Minnesota do allow for the identity of a witness to remain confidential.  However, if the case goes to court, it is often necessary for witnesses to testify, and remaining confidential may not be possible.

While it is possible to remain anonymous, it may mean that we are not able to pursue a criminal case due to lack of evidence or other witnesses.  If you do wish to remain anonymous, make sure to tell the officer or dispatcher about your request.

What is the law about pedestrians trying to cross the street? It seems as though nobody is following the rules.

A new publication from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety has started showing up inside envelopes mailed out with your motor vehicle license tab renewal form.  This new publication states in bold red lettering; STOP IT’S THE LAW, and reminds drivers to “Stop For Pedestrians.”

The insert also contains the following information:
“A driver must stop when a pedestrian is in a crosswalk.”
“A crosswalk is an intersection from sidewalk to sidewalk – even if no lines are painted on the street.”
“A pedestrian must not enter a crosswalk if a vehicle is approaching.”
Failure to obey the crosswalk law is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 90 days in jail, a $700 fine, or both.
Based on my conversations with several pedestrians and motorists in recent months, it appears that there is still some confusion about this law and how it applies to them. 
According to a letter to the editor from Senator Randy Kelly and Representative Michael Paymar, the State of Minnesota currently averages 1400 pedestrian injuries and 50 fatalities on an annual basis.  New legislation passed in the year 2000 was aimed at reducing those numbers.  Unfortunately, in the past, some of the pedestrian crossing legislation has caused confusion among drivers – and even with some pedestrians.  The most recent revision to this law became effective on September 1, 2000.  Minnesota Statute 169.21, subdivision 2, now states:
“ (a) Where traffic-control signals are not in place or in operation, the driver of a vehicle shall stop to yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a marked crosswalk or at an intersection with no marked crosswalk.  The driver must remain stopped until the pedestrian has passed the lane in which the vehicle has passed the lane in which the vehicle is stopped.  No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.” 
Two key pieces of information from the previously mentioned letter to the editor by Senator Kelly and Representative Paymar are worth reprinting.
1.   A driver must stop when a pedestrian is in a crosswalk.  No ifs, ands or buts.  Failing to do so is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 90 days in jail, a $700 fine, or both.  It is important to note that a driver is not required to stop, and should not stop, if the pedestrian is simply on the curb, despite the fact that the pedestrian may be waiting to enter the crosswalk.  It is not our intent to encourage pedestrians to enter a crosswalk when it is not safe to do so.
2.   A pedestrian must not enter a crosswalk if a vehicle is approaching.  There is no defined distance that a pedestrian must abide by before entering the crosswalk, but common sense should prevail.
The simple rules are these – you should only try to cross the road when it is safe to do so; and if you’re driving and someone is trying to cross the road, stop and yield the right of way to that individual until it is safe to proceed.  Following these rules will keep all of us safer in the long run.  If you have any questions about this law feel free to contact our department.
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.